Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Wicked fun

On Day 2, we took a tour around London with a sassy and self-proclaimed "too fabulous to die on a bus" tour guide. Starting in the more modern parts of London and moving toward the original Roman city, we went through many places.  The first of which being Buckingham Palace


Now, I wish I had some deep, inspirational things to say about Buckingham Palace, but I don't. It's beautiful, and I rather enjoyed seeing it again, but two things took over the visit:  
1) There were ducks in the fountain.

2) (Of which I sadly do not have a picture) selfie sticks are taking over the world. I kid you not. Everywhere I turned there was another one, a longer one, a GLITTERY one. If you didn't watch out, you could probably be skewered by one or knocked out cold. Couples using them to take pictures, one person staring into it as he walked around, I couldn't take it. Why did this have to be the thing that caught on? WHY???

Afterward, we moved around to the other significant figures, crossing London Bridge, passing the tower that holds Big Ben the Bell, jumping over each other to take pictures of the London Eye, etc. We finally made it to my favorite part of the tour:  Westminster Abbey. It's absolutely beautiful, and the history it holds is breathtaking. They have men and women from as early as the fourteenth century buried in the Abbey. Isaac Newton, Charles Darwin, Queen Elizabeth I, the list goes on.  It's also surprisingly challenging to tour the Abbey without stepping on a body. Although I was determined to, out of respect from the dead. I made Mr. Wheeler stop standing on top of Newton too. He laughed at me.

In our free time, we were able to run by the Tower of London and take pictures. One of the oldest buildings in London, it's very obviously medieval, looming over the rest of the landscape as you stand below it. 

  
Finally, the REAL highlight of London: Wicked.  I am not exaggerating when I say that out of the four performances of Wicked I've seen, this was the best. Elphaba's voice was incredible, rivaling even Idina Menzel's.  I still can't get over it and could probably continue gushing about it, but I won't. Instead, here's a picture of the theater it's playing in:


Can I stay here forever?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment